Sunday, August 14, 2011

Budget Gaming: King's Bounty

King's Bounty: Platinum is on sale on GamersGate now for the next 10 hours or so for just $8.74.

Buy on GamersGate
(http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-KBP/kings-bounty-platinum-bundle?caff=3726121)

King's bounty is a turn based strategy of sorts. I say "of sorts" because really only the battle screen is turn based.  tactical battle screen when you run into enemies in which you can use spells and whatnot. I really like this game and the platinum includes all the expansions and whatnot.

Basically in King's bounty you run around the world hiring more and better soldiers as you go along. instead of having just one soldier in each unit though you can have a maximum number which is set by your leadership stat. I think it's fun to have 200 of the basic soldier or something. On the other hand I really don't like that I basically have to go back to the building that I recruited those soldiers from to restock on them after every battle. It really adds a lot of empty gameplay to the game but it just may be that I suck at the tactical battle part of the game. =P

You have a hero and he/she levels up as you go through the game. They also have a passive skill tree in which you can gain some pretty awesome passives. There are three different kinds of runes that you collect and you can spend those runes in the respective tree for a little more customization. I like that you aren't stuck to being a warrior or something and you can spend points in the mage tree or something. Unfortunately you don't always find the runes you want out in the world. But fortunately you get extra of whatever class you picked whenever you level up.  Unlike other games like this you can only have the one hero so you can't divide and conquer but then again you're not really conquering anything. You run around and try to defeat armies of increasing power as you level up. So it really does work. I just prefer having multiple heroes.

Overall it's a really fun game and took over quite a few hours of my life for a while when I bought it. It's also a remake of a really old game of the same name. I've played the older one (although not for as long) and I really feel it improves it while staying true to the franchise.

TL;DR
King's bounty is a strategy game with a turn based tactical battle system and a hero that you level up and stuff. It's in the same boat as Heroes of Might and Magic and Disciples. However, you have one hero and no cities. I definitely recommend this game. It's 75% off right now on GamersGate and it provides hours of entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment