Wednesday, August 17, 2011

From Dust on the PC

 Still $14.95 on GamersGate (Here)
(for some reason it wont let me take screenshots so sorry about the lack of imagery)

This game was clearly made for xbox without any thought to PC gamers. Inhumanrampager loved this game on xbox and since buying it on PC I can see why. The controls are so stiff it's like the game replaced my mouse with an analog stick. Not only that, but the camera kept moving without it telling it to. It would center on where my mouse was like it was telling me "this is actually where you want your camera to be." If that's where I wanted my camera to be I would have put it there.

At first I found the gameplay to be a bit shallow. I was playing the first few levels hoping that the whole game wasn't just picking up dirt and putting it down somewhere else. While that basically is what the core of the game is there are also other things that happen later on like volcanoes, floods, wildfires, and other natural disasters that you have to keep from destroying your villages. So after the first few levels it starts to get a bit hectic.

One thing that bothered me about the game was the villager AI. I would sent my villagers to a new village and they would get stuck on nothingness and just stand there. Or 4 of the 5 villagers would make it there fine and then the fifth would somehow not find a way. I found myself yelling at my screen at times saying, "Guy, you just watched 4 others walk up this hill how do you not know how!"

Overall though it was a pretty good game if you're into the whole god game thing. It reminds me a bit of populous only with less control and there are no opponents.

Oh and by the way the DRM for this game is that you have to make an account with Ubisoft and log in to play the game. I'm guessing you have to stay online to play the game. Some people find that atrocious so I thought I'd mention it. I just see it as a slight annoyance. I'm online all the time anyway so it doesn't bother me too much.

TL;DR
Decent game from the "god game" family, but blatantly a console port. Gameplay is a little shallow in the beginning but it gets better. DRM where you have to be online and logged into a Uplay account to play. If you do decide to get it get it on xbox or use a gamepad for your PC.

1 comment:

  1. Yea....those villagers were hella dumb. I found humor in their stupidity though.

    Oh, and I can totally hear you say, "Guy, you just watched 4 others walk up this hill how do you not know how!" :D:D

    ReplyDelete