Monday, August 22, 2011

Gamescom things that excited me

So gamescom just happened. I watched a few videos that people uploaded to youtube and there are a few things that really got me excited (watch Totalbiscuit's coverage of gamescom please. it was amazing http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut).

First of all there was a lot of stuff from Star Wars: The Old Republic, Bioware's new MMO coming "Holiday 2011". They released a new warzone (pvp) called Huttball. Basically deadly football with lightsabers and blasters. TB also played through a bit of early level content alone and a bit with Stephen Reid from bioware. Bioware also showed off a bit of their raid (or operation as they call it) called eternity vault. I've been very excited about this game since I heard about it in 2008 and just keep getting more excited for it. Huttball Trailer


There was also Guild Wars 2 demos that I saw. Guild Wars 2 is the sequal to the popular Guild Wars by NCsoft and Arenanet. Now at first I wasn't too excited for this game because I wasn't a huge fan of the first one. I still liked it but it never really held my interest long enough. After seeing the videos coming out of gamescom, however, I am thoroughly excited for this game. There's dynamic combat, dynamic content, no subscription fee. It's going to be a big player in the MMO market and is certainly poised to take a hefty chunk out of WoW's subscriber base. But then again you could always play both because Guild Wars has no subscription, but we all know how much time MMOs suck up. TotalBiscuit plays a little GW2

A game that really excited me is Firefall. Now I've never heard of this game before but after seeing videos of it being played and hearing more about it from the developers this game seems like it has a lot of potential. It's a first or third person class based shooter with MMO elements to it made by a company called Red 5 Studios. It has an open world that you can roam around doing things in. You can find new weapons and whatnot in the open world. The real focus of the game, however, is the PvP element. From what was shown I definitely think I will try this out. TotalBiscuit interviews David Williams, lead class designer, about Firefall

 This next game I heard about early and sort of followed it but then forgot about it. It's a new MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, game in the style of DotA, LoL, HoN, etc.) and it's called Smite. It's made by Hi-Rez studios, the people who made Global Agenda and Tribes. I really liked the other work of Hi-Rez studios so I figured maybe I'd like this. It's going to be a new kind of MOBA in that it is third person and uses the pantheons of different civilizations as the champions. I am really looking forward to the third person aspect of this game as well as being able to play gods like Anubis and Zeus. Who doesn't want to be Zeus! TotalBiscuit interview about Smite

While I'm on the topic of MOBAs; League of Legends has a new game mode that will be coming out soon(ish) called Dominion. It's a point capture game mode and it looked amazingly fun. The 45 minute games of Summoner's Rift were really starting to get boring. Dominion games will supposedly be 15-25 minutes in length. Much more accessible and easier to jump in, play a game, then be on your merry way. Dominion Trailer


Last but not least; a console game. Now I usually don't fawn over console stuff. If you couldn't tell I am a PC gamer through and through. But I saw some footage of the new Rayman game, Rayman Origins (by Ubisoft), and it looks utterly amazing. It's an old school style platformer much more akin to the original Rayman (which I owned on PC) which was an extremely fun and challenging game. It is download only and I may just buy a game on my 360 when that comes out. TotalBiscuit plays Rayman co-op

That's what I've seen come out of Gamescom so far that's really interested me. Still waiting on TotalBiscuit's other videos *cough*Torchlight2*cough* but I can be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment